"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it." - Hebrews 13:2



Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Twin Disasters

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Japan, and all those touched by the earthquake and tsunami. We keep you close in our hearts.


I just felt compelled to write a few words about the terrible, double natural disaster which struck Japan this past week.  


At times I couldn’t pull myself away from the different news channels. I was hypnotized, watching the story unfold with scenes of the earth violently shaking, followed by a humungous, unstoppable wave, or wall of water overflowing harbors, pouring into streets and roaming farmland. I stand in shock at the sheer force of the ocean water coming up onto the land. This concept is very scary to me. I’ve played in rough surf in the ocean, and watched enormous waves crash on the shoreline of southern Lake Michigan during a thunderstorm, but I can’t fathom this kind of wave. Like so many other people, I stared at the TV screen and prayed.

I do try to look for God's blessings in midst of trials or a disaster…they are there. While there are the heartbreaking stories of lost loved ones, there are also the miracle stories of loved ones found. There are awesome stories of the ones who lived through it, and the touching tales of ones who were saved by a stranger.

We don't always know why these things happen and maybe it's not for us to know.

I do love the way the world comes together to help a nation in need. Even so-called enemies will lend a hand during a call for help in a natural disaster. I just don’t understand why we must wait for a disaster to join hands. It should be this way all the time, don’t you think? I would love to hear from you...your thoughts, your prayers, your comments.
I leave you until next time with a picture of an iridescent cloud. I took this picture from my back deck as the sun rays struck the high cirrus clouds in such a way to create this beautiful prism of light in the sky..."a diffraction phenomenon" says Wikipedia. It was there for me to witness and now I share it with you. I think of it as a sign of hope for us all. 




An iridescent cloud over Indiana
Photo by Loree Huebner


Between you, me and the gatepost,
Loree 







 

10 comments:

Shopgirl said...

I like how you put yourself into the waves and used that as an analogy to give magnitudes and personality to the trauma in Japan. Well done and thanks for the rainbow and the heart in this.

Loree Huebner said...

Shopgirl: Thanks for your kind comments. I really had trouble writing a post about anything else than this disaster. Watching this event has touched me deeply. I pray over it constantly. The world must come together for Japan. The disaster, now the magnitude of a triple tragedy with the nuclear plant problems, cannot be dealt with alone. We all need to help...even if the only thing we have to offer is just a prayer.

Tana said...

I do believe we are called to pray. I always wonder if our money reaches and helps the right people. In HAiti it felt like even after tons of money was sent people were still in dire need.

Loree Huebner said...

Tana: Thanks for popping in today. I do agree about the money. It's important to search out and research organizations before giving. I heard on CNN that within 24 hours of a natural disaster that there are scores of fake organizations already set up online, promising us that they will use the money for the cause. Astonishing!

Sonia G Medeiros said...

I was stunned when I heard about it. I know that natural disaster can happen, but they are always shocking when they do. The morning after it happened, I scrapped my planned blog post because I had to respond to the quake.

Loree Huebner said...

Sonia: Welcome! I did the same...I scrapped my planned blog too. I felt it my duty as a writer to talk about it. Thanks for coming by.

Jessica R. Patch said...

Thanks for sharing your heart and the picture. It's beautiful.

Loree Huebner said...

Jessica: Glad you came by! I think God gives writers very sensitve hearts.

troutbirder said...

I too have been spellbound. When all is said and done the steadfastness and cooperation of the Japanese people has been amazing. A lesson in community for us all....

Loree Huebner said...

troutbirder: So true, troutbirder, so true.