"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it." - Hebrews 13:2



Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Bud of an Idea

Budding Maple Trees in Indiana - Photo by Loree Huebner




Just in the last few days, I’ve noticed my old and dear maple tree out back, undergoing many changes. Overnight, the ugly and messy reddish-brown buds have popped into tiny green leaves. As I pondered on the wonders of spring and life renewing itself, the thought came to mind how a small bud of an idea blossoms into a story.
Are you budding with ideas these days? I sure am! Do you feel the natural seasonal rhythms that God has instilled into the earth? Does it affect how you write? When you write? I just love how the earth wakes up from its winter sleep. I feel an awakening too…a time for renewing mind, body, and soul. Do you feel it too? I would love to hear from you.
Between you, me and the gatepost,

Loree


Gettysburg National Military Park - Photo By Loree Huebner



With 2011 starting the sesquicentennial of the Civil War, I thought I would give you a little bit of history - the happenings of approximately 150 years ago. You don’t have to be a buff to appreciate the importance of this time in American History.
This week in the Civil War April 1861:

April 12th 1861 – The Civil War began with the bombardment of Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor. After much posturing by both sides, the Southern forces under P. G. T. Beauregard, attacked the Federal Fort in Charleston Harbor commencing hostilities. Although there were no casualties, the Federal troops were forced to surrender largely due to lack of supplies. While the Southerners were able to capture the fort, many historians agree that President Lincoln was clever by maneuvering the Rebels into firing the first shots. Neither side wanted to appear to be the aggressor.

A friend sent me this:

Dear Kindred,

One hundred and fifty years ago today at 4:30am the Great Civil War began. Take a moment out of your hectic life to remember all of those who sacrificed and suffered during this horrific era of our country's history. May they rest in eternal peace.

12 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

I have an idea budding right now for my next book but it is coming slowly:)) Our trees are all in bloom here already but the pollen from the oak is killing me!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Interesting American history fact. Thanks for sharing, Loree!

Here in Southern Ontario, we are just starting to see buds appearing on some of the early flowering trees. It's still an awful barren sight, but so looking foward to when they bloom.

I don't think my budding ideas generally coincide with the seasons, they just pop up whenever! And I love it everytime they do!

Loree Huebner said...

Terri: Sometimes the slower the budding...the better...the bloom will be worth the wait!

We're about another 2 weeks away from flowering trees...and the real itchy eyes. ;)

Eileen: It's so amazing that 150 years ago today, the American Civi War began. Over time, I will share just a tidbit or two. I promise there will be no pop quiz...lol!

In budding and blooming, you're probably two weeks behind in us here in the Great Lake region. Get ready...It's heading your way!

I think that's wonderful that your ideas pop whenever! That's a gift from God. I think that it's probably true for me too, but for some reason, spring really brings forth my ideas. Maybe it's the Easter season...I feel a closer to God at this time of year than any other. I feel alive.

Jessica R. Patch said...

We're just now seeing gorgeous buds and blooms! I enjoy your sharing of history with us, Loree! My branches are always budding with story ideas, now if I could get them all on paper fast enough! :) Did you pass the kidneystones? I never heard.

Loree Huebner said...

Jessica: I wish I could write as fast as I bud too...and yes, no more stone!

I'm so glad you came by today. I loved your post.

Tana said...

I'm always budding with ideas! That's part of my problem, lol! I wish I could write 24/7. Love the blooming world all around me.

Loree Huebner said...

Tana: I couldn't agree more on your comment about loving the blooming world all around! Just in the few days since I wrote this post, it seems spring has really sprung. The leaves and flowers are really making a show. Love it! I'm with you on wishing I could write 24/7...well, okay, maybe at least 12/7, lol! Thanks for stopping in.

troutbirder said...

Hey Loree. I sure am budding out these days. The nine month outdoor season has begun and with dog and camera on the go, thinking of posts won't be so hard to come by .....
I'm just finishing Adam Goodhearts new best selling 1861 The Civil War Awakening. I'll a review on Troutbirder II as soon as I can get my thoughts together on it. If you&or husband haven't seen it I would very highly recommend it. Having read hundreds (?) of books on that era this one is the best ever on the changing national consciousness (particularly in the North) which occured in that fateful year.

Loree Huebner said...

troutbirder: Thanks for the tip on Goodheart's book. Eric and I are always looking for a new CW book to read. This one sounds interesting.

As always, thanks for popping in, and I will check out your review. Have a great weekend!

Shopgirl said...

Lovely update and congrats for budding with ideas. I have been trying to recover from a recent travels, while ideas abound, I lost the equivalent of my notebook (my mobile and some computer equipment). So I am dusting off some old stories to finish them off, and it's about time anyway!

Loree Huebner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loree Huebner said...

Shopgirl: Sorry about the loss. Hey, dusting the old stories is just as important as the budding. You might find that you have a real gem in pile. Get some rest! Thanks for stopping in!