"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it." - Hebrews 13:2



Monday, March 12, 2012

Spring Tagged!



Purple Crocus - March 11, 2012 - Photo by Loree Huebner


The weather has warmed up, and signs of spring are everywhere. Two days ago, I spied several crocuses blooming in my yard. Those daffodils that were coming up last month—bloomed this week…yes, this week! The honey bees and hornets are busy looking for open flowers, and the robins are in every yard. I've got to say that I don't remember such a windy March. Forget doing your hair! Anyway, spring is nearly upon us here in Indiana.


Yellow Crocus - March 11, 2012 - Photo by Loree Huebner


Apparently, spring is also the season of tagging. This past weekend I was tagged by Marji Laine. Marji is a beautiful and talent writer. She is also a woman of many talents! You can stop by her blog anytime and always feel welcome. Go on over and visit her at Marji Laine – Faith-Driven Fiction

I'm always feel awkward about things like this, but I will give it a whirl. The rules of being tagged are to answer the questions that Marji has left for us. I’ll give it a go.

1 Book or movie and why?
Book—hands down—there is no why.

2 Real book or e-book?
Real book. I still love the real deal. I spend a great amount of time staring at computer screens. I don’t want my personal reading time to be done on a screen if I can help it. I still love the smell of a book, the pages, the pictures. I love to hold it in my hands.

3 Funniest thing you’ve done in the past 5 years?
I do funny things all the time. Maybe this question should be directed at Hubz. Eric would probably tell you about the time that I was fishing on the shore of Lake Erie, right by the Marblehead Lighthouse in Ohio, and fell in the water. What happened next is written in the Huebner History book. It’s much too long of a story for an answer to a question. Maybe a future blog post? Yeah, maybe…AND there are pictures. It all involves hysterical laughter, crying, pain, more hysterical laughter, and a fish. heh heh…

4 How would your best friend describe you?
My best friend and I have been friends for over thirty years. Nancy would describe me as her “sister” even though we’re not related. At this point, we are sisters. We even send each other “sister” cards for special occasions. It’s an honor that I’ve earned and wear proudly.

5 How do you put yourself into the books you read/write or the movies you watch?
Hubz and I love to watch old movies. There are a lot of great stories out there in between the pages, or on film…it’s easy to get lost in them. As far as putting myself there, I love the Civil War era. This is the time period that I love to write about the most. I can put myself into the bubble…and I’m there.

6 Favorite kind of car and why?
Corvette – Always loved them. Don’t own one…yet.

7 Would your choice party be a catered meal or a BBQ out back?
Definitely a BBQ out back. When Eric and I were in Brussels visiting his brother and family, we were invited to a party at a friend’s home. When we got there, it was a BBQ out in their back yard. We had the greatest time! Our host was from Scotland, and his wife was an American. He cooked for all of us! Good food and good company, and the evening weather was just perfect! We had been to some great restaurants on that vacation, but Eric and I remember that night as one of the best nights from that trip to Europe.
 
8 What’s your favorite season and why?
Fall. I’m not sure exactly why, but maybe it’s because I was born in the fall. I love the changing leaves, the beauty of the land, and the refreshing cool weather after a warm summer…and the smell of the first campfire.

9 What specific lesson have you learned – Spiritual, educational, occupational?
Spiritual – “Do not be afraid” ~ Educational – “Fear not” ~ Occupational – “Do not let your heart be troubled” ~
 
10 Besides writing, what’s your favorite thing to do when you get some extra time?
I love to fish for largemouth bass, crappie, perch, and bluegills. Fishing is so relaxing. Eric and I, and all of our kids love to fish. We all get together at least once a year to go on a fishing outing together. Last year it was at Eagle Creek Park in Indianapolis. I love being out in nature and on the water. My other favorite thing to do is Civil War reenacting. I also love to garden, bird watch, hike, and star gaze. 

11 What’s one place you can be found at least one time every week?
I’ll give you several once a week places—church, grocery store, the post office, sunset watching, our favorite park with the dogs, and a nearby small book store.

Now I’m supposed to tag 11 awesome bloggers. I wish I could tag everyone. I just picked some awesome bloggers at random, whose blogs I visit, and who I hoped hadn’t been tagged before. If you see your name below, you are tagged. (I provided the links to their blogs, so head on over for a visit). 


Awesome Bloggers: Answer the same 11 questions that I did. No pressure to play along – all in good fun.

In no particular order:

Is the change of seasons in full swing where you live? Tell me what changes you’re seeing around your house this week.


And to my Irish friends - Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Between you, me and the gatepost,


Loree


Loree's Daffs - March 11, 2012 - Photo by Loree Huebner


Don't forget to visit my Facebook page, and click "like" -
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loree-Huebner-Author/280057565382672
~Thanks a bunch!



.

31 comments:

Sandra Orchard said...

I've enjoyed learning more about you...even if I can't understand the attraction of fishing. :) Thanks for tagging me. Now I know what to blog on, on Wednesday. LOL

Marji Laine - Faith Driven Fiction said...

Thanks for playing, Loree! Loved learning more about you!

Jessica R. Patch said...

Thanks for tagging me Loree! :) I love that you send your BFF sister cards. That's awesome. I'd also love to visit a lighthouse.

Beth K. Vogt said...

I enjoyed getting to know you better, Loree.
And I would love to hear that story of how you fell into the water while you were fishing.
:)
I'm with you --BBQs are the best!

Victoria Lindstrom said...

It was great getting to know more about you Loree. You can market yourself as an author-angler!!

Sarah Forgrave said...

Thanks for the tag, Loree! :)

And how fun to learn more about you. I wish I could join you in your love of fishing, but the only way I enjoy it is if my hubby touches all the worms and fish, and I get to sit back and read a book. :)

Deana Chadwell said...

Loree -- I loved your question answers - Marji tagged me as well and I've been answering them this afternoon. Mine will be posted here in a few minutes --

To answer your question -- yes, spring is happening in the Rogue Valley. My jonquils are up and the giant red plum is covered with buds. I love your spring pics. dc

Brandi Boddie said...

Nothing beats the smell of a book. I used to think it was so weird, but now I see that other people enjoy it too :-)

Glad to learn more about you, Loree, and thanks for tagging me. I'll be taking a blog break shortly when my hubby comes home for vacation, but I'll participate soon!

Unknown said...

Thanks for tagging me, Loree! I loved learning more about you. I love BBQs too! And yes, we definately need a blog post about the time you fell into the water... :-)

Keli Gwyn said...

Thanks for tagging me, Loree.

I loved learning more about you. I'm with Beth. I gotta hear that fishing story. Sounds like lotsa fun.

Unknown said...

Oh fun! Thanks for tagging me, Loree. I think you've just solved my "What do I blog about next?" dilemma. :) It was fun getting to know you more!

Cheryl Linn Martin said...

LOVE your photos, Loree! Enjoy your wonderful springtime. Ours in the Pacific NW are usually quite rainy--and we might have some freezing rain on the way--ugh!
Now I really wish I was in Hawaii.
Aloha! --Cheryl

Melissa K Norris said...

Glad I'm not the only who falls into water. I'm known as the clumsy one in our family.

Loree Huebner said...

Sandra: We always have some sort of crazy adventure when we go fishing.

Marji: Thanks for tagging me. I had fun. Those questions weren't as easy as they looked. It took some thought.

Jessica: Look up the Marblehead Lighthouse. It's the oldest lighthouse on Lake Erie. It's beautiful. You can see Cedar Point amusement park from there.

Beth: I might tell the fish story one of these days. BBQ's are the best!

Victoria: I like the author-angler!

Sarah: Fishing is something I've done since I was a little girl and passed it on to my kids. I love the big night-crawlers! hehehe

Deana: I'll come by and check it out!

Brandi: I'll look forward to that blog post, but hubby must come first. Enjoy your time together!

Gwen: I love BBQ's! I guess my fall in the water story has sparked some interest and may have to become a blog post in the near future.

Keli: It is a funny story. I get the giggles thinking about it. I might just have to share.

Melissa T: I had the same "What do I blog about next?" dilemma until Marji told me that I was tagged. Hey, those questions weren't as easy as they looked at first.

Cheryl: Freezing rain? I think it's supposed to be in the 70's on Tuesday. I loved that papaya recipe you posted. I'm going to try it.

Melissa N: I'll have to hear your "fall in the water" story!

Thanks for stopping in everyone! I loved your comments!

troutbirder said...

I enjoyed this post. I conclude any woman who loves to fish can't be all bad...: And spring has sprung here in the Minnesota Tundra.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

That Purple Crocus photo is gorgeous.

And I'm a BBQ girl as well! I love them.

Loree Huebner said...

trout: haha! Yes, I am a fisherwoman!
Is the weather getting warmer up there?

Lynda: Thanks. That flower was so vibrant! It really brings out the feeling of spring.

trout and Lynda, thanks for popping in!

Jill Kemerer said...

Love your answers, Loree, and I definitely want to hear more about this fishing trip gone wrong! Ha! I had a run-in with a ginormous spider this weekend. The family is still making fun of me. :)

Thanks!!

Loree Huebner said...

Jill: I am not a fan of spiders. Sounds like we must hear your story.

Thanks for stopping in!

Julie Musil said...

Loree, what beautiful photos! Around our house, it's felt like summer (So Cal), but winter decided to show up late. Now it's cold (for us...50's during the day).

I'm with you on paper books, and for the same reason. I don't want to stare at a screen when I'm reading for pleasure. And for me, there's nothing like a paper book.

It was so fun getting to know you better. Thanks for including me among those awesome bloggers :D

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Loree -

The crocuses and daffodils are also blooming here. :)

Fun post. This is a nice twist on blog awards.

Blessings,
Susan

Jessica Nelson said...

Loved learning more about you, Loree! We have a few things in common, from book reading to seasons. Your relationship with Nancy sounds lovely!
The flower pics are gorgeous. We've been getting a bit more rain here in Florida, which means Spring is on her way!

Loree Huebner said...

Julie: I would think it would be like spring everyday in Southern California! I'm with you - there is nothing like a real book.

Susan: More crocuses and daffs are coming up everyday. It's supposed to be in the 70's today! There's a real nice spring breeze.

Jessica: My best friend, Nancy, is such a lovely person. My sister...
I am looking forward to reading your book! I've been hearing great reviews of it around the blogosphere!

Julie, Susan, and Jessica, thanks for coming by. I loved reading your comments.

Stacy Henrie said...

Love reading your answers, Loree. I'm with you on the real book thing and Fall as a favorite season.

Loree Huebner said...

Stacy: Real books are the best!

Thanks for stopping in, Stacy!

Jayne said...

Ah, the crocuses! So pretty. Fall is my favorite season, too. :)

Loree Huebner said...

Jayne: There is just something about fall...love it too.

Thanks for dropping by! I loved taking the springtime walk with you on your blog!

Carol Riggs said...

Gorgeous photos! (spring flowers already??!! nice)--and how fun to learn more about you. :) Yay for real books, though I'm getting used to the whole ebook scene, and reading on a Kindle. Just not my preferred format. Have a great weekend!

Loree Huebner said...

Carol: Thanks! Took a road trip down to southern Indiana and there are trees blooming! Unbelievable.

Enjoy your weekend, and thanks for stopping in!

Misha Gerrick said...

Here the weather's changing as winter approaches. Must say, I can't wait. ;-)

Loree Huebner said...

Misha: I just saw your comment. How strange that you are getting ready for winter, and we are getting ready for summer. Are the winters harsh down there?

Thanks for stopping in.