"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it." - Hebrews 13:2



Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's A Calling


Sunset from Little Round Top - Gettysburg, PA
Photo by Loree Huebner



I've been seriously writing for about ten years now.  When I really think about it, writing has always been in my blood.  Even as a child, I always knew I would be a writer.  I didn’t come from a long line of writers; I came from good storytellers.  Writing, however, didn’t take root in my life until major events happened.  The time and the season had to be right.  Once I did start to put words on paper, it came as natural as breathing.  I take on a spirit of joy. 


It’s a calling. 
Some writers can’t explain what drives them.  I’m one of them.  I only know that I experience an abrupt emptiness if I don’t tell that story, or write that particular piece.  I have found that the heart of a writer aches in a way that most cannot explain in their own words, not even on paper. 
Not everyone has this calling. 
The first time I told my best friend that I was writing a book, she just sat there, politely nodding and smiling as I excitedly rambled on about the plot and my vision.  She seemed to try hard to follow along, but I knew she just didn’t get it.  She didn’t understand my passion.  This is when I realized that writing could put me in a very lonely place—a place of joy that I could not share, even with my best friend.
Ever try to explain your writing to a friend or family member who doesn’t write?  Did they understand, or just politely nod their heads?  “Uh yeah…uh huh.”
Between you, me and the gate post,
Loree






6 comments:

Jill Kemerer said...

Yeah, most of my non-writer friends are supportive, but don't really get it either. That's okay. I don't always get their jobs, either!

The Internet provides such a wonderful community of authors. We don't have to feel alone!

Loree Huebner said...

Jill: As I explore, I'm finding that there is a whole community of wonderful, supportive authors and agents. I don't feel as alone as I did 5 years ago. As always, thanks for your support. You're a real gem!

troutbirder said...

Best of luck. Blogging is a lot of fun. I began as a way to communicate my outdoor activites with my far away son. The discovered my little cheapo camera would never be world class photographer but that I love to write and tell stories. Now 800 posts and two blogs (one nature & one book review and incidentals blog latr I'm still at it....writing. btw I'm also a civil war buff as well. :)

Loree Huebner said...

troutbirder: Thanks for the well wishes! I always love meeting new CW "buffs"! Nice blogs!

Terri Tiffany said...

Hi Loree, welcome to blogging! I do remember telling some family members and they looked at me like I was weird. :)) Part of the deal, I think. But yes, it's in my blood too.

Loree Huebner said...

Terri: Thanks for the welcome. BTW, I love your blog! It's one of my favorites. Thanks again for taking the time to say "HI"...it means a lot.