"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it." - Hebrews 13:2



Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Memorial Day…a day of honor and remembrance…



Private Lars (Loree H) at the gravesite of 80 Indiana soldiers
Gettysburg National Cemetery - Gettysburg, PA
Photo by Eric Huebner 
Yay! I have my BLOGGER powers back again! Apparently I wasn't the only one having BLOGGER troubles since Wednesday. I'm hearing of a few others. You can go to the link : http://knownissues.blogspot.com/2011/05/were-investigating-issue-which-is.html  if you're having problems. You can get a Blogger update on the situation. They're having problems with comments, sign ins, and posting.


We’re less than a week away from the Memorial Day holiday weekend that kicks off the summer season. I can’t believe how fast it’s upon us already.
When I was a kid, the holiday was a morning of going to the gravesites of family members who had passed on and decorating the graves. In the afternoon, we enjoyed a picnic or cookout with aunts, uncles, and cousins. I also remember watching old war movies with my dad and brothers. We would always watch the classics, The Longest Day, Sands of Iwo Jima, along with all the John Wayne-John Ford cavalry movies that happened to be on TV.
I’ve got to say, I love this holiday. We celebrate it differently now that I’m older and have my own family. My hubby’s birthday falls very near and sometimes on the actual holiday, so we have a double celebration all weekend long. It’s a three day event of visiting family and friends, cook outs, and outdoor activities. I also keep the old family traditions and visit a few graves of loved ones, along with watching a good war picture such as, Saving Private Ryan, Gettysburg, or Glory, at some point over the weekend.
As Civil War reenactors, our units are usually called to come shoot a volley, or partake in a cannonade at a few local Memorial Day services for those who have given so much for our freedom.
I always feel so honored to be a part of these events at cemeteries and courthouse squares. We not only salute the Civil War soldiers, but ALL AMERICAN SOLDIERS and VETERANS, who sacrificed and gave so much of themselves for our freedom. I always get extremely emotional during the speeches and the salutes...especially, when TAPS is played. As a proud American, I have freedom that I wouldn’t have otherwise, if not for them. I take a moment, under God...to say:
THANK YOU!   THANK YOU!   THANK YOU!   THANK YOU!

I salute and thank all the good men and women who serve our country, guarding us and our freedom…during war time or peace…now and back then. Huzzah! I remember and salute the ones who were fortunate to make it back after war. Some came back from war with painful memories and shell shock. Some came back without arms or legs. Some didn’t come back. I take this day, under God...to remember all of you…
This year, Eric and I plan to march in a parade on Monday morning with our artillery unit. Even though it’s not our hometown, I look forward to a good old parade for the awesome people in a lovely Indiana town near South Bend. We've also been invited to shoot a few volleys during a special Memorial Day program at the courthouse in Porter County with our infantry unit.
How are you spending the holiday weekend? Got any special plans? How did you spend the holiday when you were a kid? I would love to hear from you.
Have a great and safe holiday weekend!  YAY SUMMER!
Between you, me and the gatepost,
Loree    


Private Sven (Eric H) in Gettysburg National Cemetery
Gettysburg, PA
Photo by Loree Huebner

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the town of Joplin, Missouri, and all the American towns ravaged by killer tornadoes this spring. We keep you close in our hearts.

15 comments:

Jessica R. Patch said...

Thanks for the reminder of why we celebrate this holiday. I think it can become just a start to summer party and a celebration of school letting out. But it's not. Although those aren't bad things to celebrate!

We're having a family reunion, long overdue, and a send off for my cousin who is moving to Austrailia. I see a down-under vacay in my future! I love spending time with family, eating, jabbering, laughing and playing outdoor games. I'm looking forward to it!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

We just had our long weekend here. Canadian (Victoria Day). It was wonderful. I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Loree Huebner said...

I think I have my profile blogger powers back...no more anonymous!! YAY!

Jessica: Have a great time at your family reunion. I see a down-under blog post in your future. Have a great weekend!

Eileen: Well Happy Victoria Day to you! Glad you had a nice weekend!

Eric J. Huebner said...

I couldn't agree more. Happy Memorial Day to all!

Loree Huebner said...

Thanks, Eric. You're my rock. Happy Birthday!

MTeacress said...

We always had a pic nic in the park, but I didn't ever visit family graves until I was grown. We enjoy taking fresh spring flowers. :)

Christine's Pantry said...

Nice post! Have a great weekend!

Loree Huebner said...

Michelle: Sounds like it was a great day in the park! Those are times I always remember and keep close in my heart. Thanks for stopping by!

Christine: Welcome here! Nice of you stop by. You have a wonderful weekend also!

Anonymous said...

Loree, you look great in uniform.

God bless our military men and women! :-)

Loree Huebner said...

Geezer: Haha...Thanks, RonJoe! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Loree:

Great post! Couldn't agree more here with everything you said.

Have a great weekend!

(And I'd follow ya, but those darn blogger blues prevent me from doing so..sigh.)

Tana said...

Great post. I love that you and your family are civil war reinactors (sp?) that makes this a special weekend for you on top of everything else. I love the kick off to summer!!! Happy looooong weekend!

Loree Huebner said...

Bryce: Welcome here! Thanks for your comments. I know all about those blogger blues.
Have a great weekend!

Tana: Yay for summer! Have a great weekend!

Julie Musil said...

I echo your thoughts about our military. What an amazing, selfless group of people. I think of them every day. As for the long weekend, we're staying close to home. Enjoy the parade!

Loree Huebner said...

Julie: Thanks for popping in. Have a great and safe weekend!